Sunday, August 29, 2010

Be still, and listen

I've read many books, both fictional and fact, that talk about the power of being still. Call it meditation, call it quieting the mind, call it whatever you want...The point is, you are to be still. Being still allows you to turn off your mind, and just LISTEN.

I went to mass at St. James Cathedral with Rebecca and her parents yesterday. During the post-eucharistic silent prayer, I asked God to help me be still so that I could hear Him.

(Backstory: I don't transition well. Big life changes like moving, starting a new job, etc. really throw me off. I love routine and when it is changed, I feel very uneasy and am easily stressed out. Now that I am moving out of my apartment, one that I have lived in for 2 years, and into a new place, I'm feeling that familiar sense of anxiety. Thus, the prayer.)

So tonight, as I was finding the motivation to change into my pjs and climb into bed, I just sat for a moment. Sitting on my bed, back against the wall, legs crossed, hands resting on my knees palms up. I sat there, closed my eyes, and took some deep breaths. (I've practiced this before, with not much success.) I focused on my breathing, which helped to calm my thoughts. My mind was clear, and I felt at peace. Then, I heard a voice in my head. Not some deep manly voice like I had always assumed that God would have, but it actually sounded more like me. It said,
In this moment, you are safe.
That's it. That's all I needed to hear. As soon as I heard it, my eyes welled up and a few tears slipped down my cheeks.

I guess what they say really is true. Whenever you really need something, there's only one thing to do.
Be still, and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment