Saturday, July 24, 2010

Complementary Medicine and Pain Management

Kris Carr, my inspiration

Let's start off with a little lesson on pain. When I talk about the kind of pain that needs narcotic intervention, it's not the "I just cut my arm off" type, nor the "I have an ovarian cyst the size of Mexico" type of pain. It's a deep, muscular-type pain. It radiates down my spine, and spreads across my back and shoulders. It's the kind of pain where you can't be comfortable, no matter what position your body is in. When I lay down, every muscle in my body seems to pulse, and it's super uncomfortable.

Let's continue...

What is complementary medicine, you ask? From the National Institutes of Health's National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine:
Defining CAM (complementary and alternative medicine) is difficult, because the field is very broad and constantly changing. NCCAM defines CAM as a group of diverse medical and health care systems, practices, and products that are not generally considered part of conventional medicine. Conventional medicine (also called Western or allopathic medicine) is medicine as practiced by holders of M.D. (medical doctor) and D.O. (doctor of osteopathy) degrees and by allied health professionals, such as physical therapists, psychologists, and registered nurses. The boundaries between CAM and conventional medicine are not absolute, and specific CAM practices may, over time, become widely accepted.

"Complementary medicine" refers to the use of CAM together with conventional medicine, such as using acupuncture in addition to usual care to help lessen pain. Most use of CAM by Americans is complementary. "Alternative medicine" refers to use of CAM in place of conventional medicine. "Integrative medicine" (also called integrated medicine) refers to a practice that combines both conventional and CAM treatments for which there is evidence of safety and effectiveness.

I'm so very grateful that this pain flare is on its way out! I started feeling increased pain along my upper back and between my shoulder blades and down the spine on Monday, and knew that I was at the beginning of a flare. I tried to lay low and limit my activity, which I was able to do. But perhaps what affects pain more than physical exertion is mental and emotional stress. Monday, I was supposed to see a hand specialist about the issue I've been having with my right hand. When I showed up at the clinic, they said that they didn't take student insurance.

...

I got so extremely frustrated, as my insurance covered care from their office, but THEY did not accept my INSURANCE! Is that backwards or what? So I was pissed. My dominant hand's been party out of commission for the past 2.5 weeks, and I'm STILL not able to get it fixed. After dancing around communication with Milah, Dr. Kenyon, and my insurance company for two hours yesterday, I was able to secure an appointment with a Dr. Schlenker at Virginia Mason's Hand Surgery Center. Granted, the appointment isn't until August 4th, but at least it's an appointment...

Anyway.

I left frustrated and that only increased my pain. When I woke up on Tuesday, I was feeling worse. I was really stiff, and I did some gentle stretching to loosen things up. I also put my stupid spica brace back on to try to stabilize my wrist. I tried to lay low Wednesday, and eventually I couldn't take it anymore. I broke out the big guns and downed some phenergan and percocet. Once those set in, I was actually able to get a few things checked off my to-do list, including two much-needed loads of laundry and some cleaning.

The pharmacological interventions were helping, but I wanted to do something to relax before bed and try to release every muscle in my body. So, I took a warm shower to relax the muscles, which felt really good. Then I turned off the lights in my room, plugged in my Christmas lights, and turned on some John Mayer. (He's totally my go-to relaxation musician! Love him.) Then I did some self-massage with lavender lotion on the big leg muscles. And then I decided to do something that I don't really ever do: meditation. I'm not talking about the "ommm" type of meditation. I layed down on my bed, arms spread and palms up, and put on the song "Orange Sky" by Alexi Murdoch. I focused on the lyrics:
In your love,
My salvation lies in your love,
My salvation lies in your love,
My salvation lies,
In your love,
In your love,
In your love.
I focused on opening myself up, and concentrated on my breathing instead of the pain. The amazing Kris Carr provides a great imagery exercise in her book "Crazy Sexy Cancer Survivor: More Rebellion for Your Healing Journey." She says that when you focus on the in-breath, to imagine that you are filling your body with healing, radiant light. She says to imagine the golden sunlight filling every inch of your body, especially where you are feeling pain. When you focus on the out-breath, imagine that you are breathing out all the dark, negative things inside: feelings, thoughts, and pain.

So that's what I did, I opened myself up and focused on breathing in the healing golden sunshine, and breathing out the dark, negative pain. I listened to the song twice and by the time it was over, I felt so completely relaxed. I managed to get up and unplug the lights and turn off my laptop before crawling back into bed and sleeping soundly.

The amazing Kris Carr

I'll end this with the song that I mentioned earlier, "Orange Sky" by Alexi Murdoch.
Well I had a dream
I stood beneath an orange sky
Yes I had a dream
I stood beneath an orange sky
With my brother standing by
With my brother standing by
I said Brother, you know you know
It's a long road we've been walking on
Brother you know it is you know it is
Such a long road we've been walking on

And I had a dream
I stood beneath an orange sky
With my sister standing by
With my sister standing by
I said Sister, here is what I know now
Here is what I know now
Goes like this..
In your love, my salvation lies
In your love, my salvation lies
In your love, my salvation lies
In your love, in your love, in your love

But sister you know I'm so weary
And you know sister
My hearts been broken
Sometimes, sometimes
My mind is too strong to carry on
Too strong to carry on

When I am alone
When I've thrown off the weight of this crazy stone
When I've lost all care for the things I own
That's when I miss you, that's when I miss you, that's when I miss you
You who are my home
You who are my home
And here is what I know now
Here is what I know now
Goes like this..
In your love, my salvation lies
In your love, my salvation lies
In your love, my salvation lies
In your love, my salvation lies
In your love, my salvation lies
In your love, my salvation lies
In your love, my salvation lies
In your love, in your love, in your love

Well I had a dream
I stood beneath an orange sky
Yes I had a dream
I stood beneath an orange sky
With my brother and my sister standing by
With my brother and my sister standing by
With my brother and my sister standing by

No comments:

Post a Comment