Saturday, July 2, 2011

My Tips for Beating the Heat and Staying Safe in the Sun!



It has been all kinds of hot here in Seattle! As we Seattle-ites aren't used to this, it's important to know how to stay safe in the sun! Here are some tips from my arsenal of knowledge!

1) SUNSCREEN! Apply sunscreen first thing in the morning, before you get dressed. If you're outside a lot, reapply every few hours.

**Bonus tip** Keep your sunscreen in the refrigerator! When you put it on, the cool lotion will feel great on your skin.
My sunscreen of choice.

2) Refrigerate your body sprays/perfume, and spritz when you're feeling the need to cool down.
My scent of choice.

3) Frozen grapes make a great snack! They're healthy, and the cold feels great in my mouth. (I'm also a fan of frozen peas. Delicious!)


4) Quick, cold showers feel amazing. I usually take one in the morning and one in the evening. Just a quick rinse to get all the sweat off and cool my body down.

5) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. When it's hot out, we sweat more and thus need to increase our water intake. Keep a bottle with you at all times and drink as often as you can. I also love Starbucks iced drinks, but my trainer has taught me to love the "skinnier" drinks! I'll go for a iced venti unsweetened green tea, or an iced coffee with nonfat milk if I need the coffee flavor.

My "usual:" Iced Venti Unsweetened Green Tea (0 cal!)

6) Stay in air conditioned places! This one's a no-brainer, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

7) I get really really hot at bedtime, and it's hard to fall asleep when I'm burning up. My solution? I have a big ice pack that I use for icing my back, and I place it under the fitted sheet on my bed so that I lay on top of it. That, in conjunction with sleeping sans pajamas, has been tremendously helpful in sleeping in the heat.

This size works great!

What are some of your tips for keeping cool?

No comments:

Post a Comment