I have been an advocate for finding a cure for breast cancer for going on 7 years. I’ve walked hundreds of miles and raised thousands of dollars in the Breast Cancer 3-Day for the Cure. I’ve volunteered at more events than I can count. I’ll continue to do these things, because they are important to me and I have made so many amazing friends through these connections.
However…
I’ve always seen all the “pink for breast cancer” merchandise for sale, and the thousands of news stories about breast cancer and the women it affects. How much money are manufacturers making off of all of this? How much of the money accumulated actually goes to breast cancer research?
And another thing…Why are people so obsessed with finding a cure for breast cancer instead of, say, pediatric cancer? My theory is that as a culture, we hold a woman’s breasts as the epitome of femininity. And a lot of the time, breast cancer causes a radical change of a woman’s breasts. “We must save these iconic symbols of femininity!”
Obviously, breast cancer is a very serious epidemic. It’s a horrible disease that has the much-to-often ability to be fatal.
But what about invisible diseases, like fibromyalgia? Or arthritis? Just because they’re not necessarily life-threatening doesn’t mean that they don’t deserve just as much attention as breast cancer does. Speaking for myself as someone with fibromyalgia and ankylosing spondylitis, I have to come to terms with these conditions. I’m going to have to deal with this pain FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!
Are these diseases not “sexy” enough for widespread attention? Is the mental image of my body, curled up in pain, not “attractive” enough to launch a campaign for a cure? What if I stick out my chest and say I have pain there? (My ribs do hurt, so that wouldn’t be far from the truth.)
I think that I’ve done more than what others have in terms of raising funds for breast cancer. I’ve been to many a gala and fundraiser where millions of dollars have been raised towards a cure.
Is it too much to ask for someone to help ME for a change? I have medical bills that I have no way to pay, yet I keep quiet and act like everything is ok. I put on a happy face and act like everything is tolerable.
When is someone going to throw ME a fundraiser?
No comments:
Post a Comment